From a schoolboy coin collector to being a founder of India's major auction house, Shri Girish Veera's journey has been a source of inspiration for many.
One of the most popular and trusted Indian Numismatist Shri Girish J. Veera is the founder partner of India's first professional Numismatic Auction house in 2003. A passionate coin collector himself, Mr. Veera recently shared his area of numismatic interest and thoughts with ICCG News. Excerpts from the interview:
How did you develop interest in numismatics? Was there someone or something of significance that played a role? And what are the areas of your interest?
In school days I used to collect coins as many other might have done so. My grandmother gave
me few copper coins of Kutch State which I displayed in our school class function which was appreciated by our Principle, and that was how I got encouraged. Early 80's had seen Ancient coins display of Sri S.M. Shukla in Kutch hobby circles exhibition held at Matunga. Post card was main communication those days so by exchanging few Post cards with my Great Guru Sri S.M. Shukla I connected with him. Learnt a lot from him, seen many great coins connected with many other senior collectors developed serious interest in coin collecting. As Auctioneer I like all coins but my preferred area of interest is Pre British Indian coins.
What does your collection mean to you?
Though I am Numismatic Auctioneer since 2003 but by heart I am hard core
coin collector. I have small but fair collection of Medieval South Indian
dynasty & other Historical important coins. My collection means lot to me &
always feel proud to have few but nice coins in my personal collection.
How can collector grow in life?
Each and every collector by default is saving a rich heritage of our country. If
there were no coin collectors then all the collectible coins would have been
melted. It is very important for every coin collector of any series to learn in
depth about his subject and interest area. Today, lot of literature is available
online as well in the form of books. So rather being accumulator, it is better
to be a systematic collector.
How did you come up with 'Oswal Auctions'?
I feel myself very much blessed and feel great satisfaction to be a founder partner
of India's first professional Numismatic Auction house founded in 2003 later in
year 2007, started own Auction House namely Oswal Antiques.
Any particular problem that you face, while doing your collections?
Doing collection is never being a problem but still when we see many good coins
in foreign Auction houses I feel regret that as Indian citizen I cannot buy them and
bring back them to India. It is very important for Government of India to have
clear import policy for Indian origin coins bringing back to India. Infect
Government should encourage Individuals, Institutions and Auction houses to
bring back Indian origin coins to our country with nominal or preferably with 0%
custom duty.
Oswal Auctions' has grown as one of the India's largest collectibles auctions and
has auctioned some of the rarest and unique items in existence. Out of all of the auctions facilitated by Oswal Auctions', which would you say was your favorite auctions?
So far Oswal has done 7 Fixed Price list, 6 E Auctions, 62 Floor Auctions and journey is just going on. As each child is favorite and dear to mother in same way, for me each and every Auction is unique, dear and favorite to me.
Your auctions permit you to view and/or handle some of the rarest coins in existence. Is it possible to choose your favorite piece?
It is very difficult to choose any single coin from many great rarities and unique coins sold by Oswal Auctions.
Do you feel any change to the numismatic industry in the past 10 years?
Professional Numismatic trade is not much old in India as I mentioned first Numismatic Auction started in 2003 by 3 entrepreneurs Mr. Farokh Todywalla, Mr. Jadavji Shah and myself Girish J Veera. Later in 2007 Oswal Auction established. Since then few more Numismatic Auction houses from other
parts of country have been started. These Auction houses bring revolution in Numismatic trade by bringing professionalism and confidence in collectors and investors. Also there are many other factors changed Numismatic Industries. Era of Internet, Face book, What's up connected dealers and collectors. Also media played great awareness to spread Numismatic. Societies, Clubs also created great
awareness.
How do you see Indian Numismatics evolving over the next 10 years? More
international interest?
Indian Numismatic market breadth is very shallow as on today, but one can see tremendous interest and awareness spreading all over the country. Within few years I can see market will grow in multiple folds in terms of value and collectors. Numismatic will be consider as great instrument of alternative Investment. No need of International interest as India itself is very big Market. One cannot be surprised to see Foreign Auction houses open/ start their operations in India.
Do you have any advice for young collectors looking to prosper in the industry?
I am very young to advise anything to anybody but only one thing I can tell is to learn, learn & learn.
How do you see our newspaper contributing to numismatics?
ICCG group is doing tremendous work in field of Numismatic & especially your Newspaper is a great instrument to spread & save our great Numismatic Heritage.
![]() | ||
| Chhatrapati Sri Shivaji Maharaj ,Gold Hon | Legend on Obv : Sri Raja Shiva in dotted circle, | Legend on Rev : Chhatrapati in dotted circle |


No comments:
Post a Comment